Sunday, August 1, 2010

7/27/10 Chase: Glencoe, MN

A cold front raced across Minnesota during the evening of Tuesday, July 27th, 2010.  I chased out west along highways US-212 and MN-5 towards Glencoe, MN. The storms were severe in western Minnesota, but lost their intensity as they approached the Twin Cities, only to regain their strength as the line moved into Wisconsin.

MPX.N0R.1007280059.640x480.none..173_an[1]

The leading edge of this line of storms produced nice shelf clouds, indicating strong straight-line winds.  Here is a photo I took of a shelf cloud approaching from the north near the towns of Glencoe and Plato:

IMG_0216

Following the back end of the line of storms on the way home, I experienced some wind and rain.  The real prize of this trip was the lightning strike I captured as I was traveling eastbound on US-212/MN-5 outside of Glencoe:

Nice little storm for an evening chase!

RS

1 comment:

  1. a little too close for comfort on the lightning strike huh?....lol, I also like the radar recap from the day, nice!!

    ReplyDelete